General Admission Policies
- No student may be excluded from St. James of the Valley school solely because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or ancestry.
- It is understood that SJOV must be beneficial to the child seeking admission. Families seeking admission for students in grades 1-8 are to complete the following procedures:
- Families must agree to a probationary period of one quarter.
- Submit a copy of a current report card.
- It is understood that parents seeking the admission of their child/children to SJOV are agreeable to following the regulations and policies of the school.
- Classroom limitations: All available classroom space will be utilized. The maximum number of classes that can be accommodated will be determined by the Administration and/or Education Commission. Optimum class size should not exceed 28 students in grades 1-8 and 24 students in kindergarten. However, exceptions may be made at the discretion of the principal.
- Acceptance into St. James of the Valley School is contingent upon the receipt and review of applicable transcripts and records from the student’s prior school. If SOV can meet the academic, psychological, and physical needs of the student, he/she will be accepted for a onquarter probationary period.
- Admission and readmission are on an annual basis.
All registrations are provisional, that is, subject to the approval of the respective Pastor and the Principal.
Registrations will be accepted only during the year of entry into the school. Children from families already enrolled at SJOV shall have first priority in registration and acceptance. These children will be registered through the school. Children from families who have not attended SJOV in the previous year, must be registered through the school or parish at a designated time.
Registration Throughout the School Year
Registrants seeking admission into SJOV after the completion of the designated annual registration will be accepted through the principal and admitted upon the approval of the pastor. This is normally handled on a first come, first serve basis.
Registration fee must be paid prior to acceptance. For parishioner registration, the fee (per family) is $100 made out to the parish. The registration fee may be credited toward tuition.
Admission Requirements and Priorities
- Age Requirements
- No child may be admitted to kindergarten at SJOV unless s/he is five years of age on or before September 30 of the year of admittance.
- No child may be admitted to first grade at SJOV unless s/he is six years of age on or before September 30 of the year of admittance.
- Priorities for Admission of Students (Grades K-8)
- First priority is extended to registered members of St. James of the Valley Parish and non-members who have children currently enrolled at St. James of the Valley School.
- Second priority is extended to registered members of St. James of the Valley Parish who do not have children currently enrolled in the school.
- Third priority is extended to families outside St. James of the Valley Parish.
Waiting List Policy
In the event a waiting list is necessary, a child will remain on the waiting list for the following year in the same position and priority as long as the following conditions are met:
- They remain parishioners in good standing.
- They have registered on time.
- They have pastor approval.
Kindergarten Admittance Policy
- No child may be admitted to the Kindergarten at SJOV unless s/he is 5 years of age on or before September 30 of the year of admittance. Children who become 5 between October 1 and January 1 inclusive, are considered underage.
- Admittance to the kindergarten program at SJOV is on a first come, first served basis with priority given to:
- New kindergarten students who have a brother or sister presently enrolled at SJOV and whose parents/guardian are parishioners in good standing.
- New kindergarten students whose parents/guardian are parishioners in good standing.
- New kindergarten students with a brother or sister presently enrolled at SJOV and whose parents/guardians are nonparishioners and are in good standing at the school.
- If all openings are not filled using the first two categories, acceptance is based on a first come, first served basis.
- If registration openings remain, after the registration period is closed, they will be filled on a first come, first served basis.
- Registration will begin on the Sunday of Catholic Schools Week (usually the last Sunday in January) at Open House.
- As with grades 1 through 8, registration for kindergarten (whether full day or half day) requires a $100.00 fee (per family). The registration fee may be credited toward tuition.